Epiphany school uniform policy
Epiphany School is an independent school with no religious affiliation. We welcome students and families of all races, religions, and national or ethnic origins.
Uniforms are an Epiphany School tradition. We believe they contribute to our school's strong sense of community, support our school values of equity and inclusion, and allow students to focus on their learning. Families appreciate the ease of uniforms, and a robust used-uniform program keeps costs low and availability high.
Epiphany School students in kindergarten through fifth grade wear uniforms. Epiphany School has two sets of uniforms: regular and dress (see sidebar for more details). All students are allowed to wear any of the approved uniform pieces. There are no gender specific uniform pieces. Students may wear dress uniform pieces on regular uniform days, but only dress uniform pieces are allowed on dress uniform days. Families are asked to purchase all uniform pieces (with the exception of shoes, socks, tights, and belt) from Lands’ End, the GAP, or Old Navy. Gently used items are also available at the school’s annual uniform sale, held on campus several times per year. Pieces from our former uniform vendor, Dennis Uniform, can also be worn.
A note about outerwear: Regular uniform and dress uniform is worn in the classrooms; outerwear (ie: hoodies, jackets, hats, spiritwear) should only be worn outdoors.
A note about shoes: A pair of "clean-sole" (non-marking) athletic shoes are required for PE; please note these shoes will stay at school for the year. For daily wear, all students are encouraged to wear athletic shoes that allow them to run, play, climb, and participate fully in all activities at recess and outdoors. Students may not wear shoes that are open-toed or open-heeled as these pose a safety risk, including sandals, Tevas, Keens, clogs, and Crocs. On dress uniform days, dress shoes are recommended but daily athletic shoes are also allowed, provided they follow the footwear guidelines in our handbook.
- Lands’ End carries many uniform pieces. Detailed uniform information is available on their website under the “School Uniform” tab and “Find My School” link. The Epiphany School code is 900096470. To shop Epiphany School Spiritwear, select "Spiritwear" under the "Grade/Status" dropdown menu.
- Both the GAP and Old Navy carry white and navy polo shirts; white button-downs; navy pants, shorts, and skorts; and white and navy tights and socks.
- Belts, navy or white tights, navy or white socks, tumble/bike shorts (optional to wear under skirts), shoes, and face masks can be purchased from anywhere you like, provided they fit uniform guidelines and are school-appropriate.
- You may have existing uniform pieces from Dennis Uniform, or purchase them from our used uniform sale, these pieces are still considered part of our uniform.
ES SpiritWear (optional)
- Regular uniforms are worn to school every day and must be clean, in good repair, and properly fitting. On regular uniform days, students may wear basic uniform or dress uniform pieces.
- Dress uniforms are worn on special occasions, including picture days, field trips (unless otherwise indicated by the classroom teacher), all-school assemblies, graduation and other special events. If temperatures are too hot, the Head of School may modify dress uniform requirements on a given day and allow alternative dress options deemed appropriate.
Free Dress Days
- Throughout the school year, Epiphany School hosts “free dress days.” These days are announced ahead of time and posted on the school calendar. On these days, students do not have to wear basic or dress uniform unless they wish to. Free dress can demonstrate Epiphany School, team, or creative spirit! All free dress clothing should be school appropriate, allow for full-range of motion both indoors and outdoors, and include socks and close-toed/heeled shoes (as with regular uniform).